The international medical humanitarian organisation, Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), is recruiting a Photo Editor. The position aims to contribute to MSFâ€™s communication and information activities through photography. The ideal candidate will have experience as a photographer or working on a photo desk, and will also have demonstrated skills in the field of lay-out and design both for print and online publications.
The Photo Editor will be based in Brussels. The position is full-time and involves travel to MSFâ€™s project locations as well as to other MSF offices.
â€¢ Oversee all photo production for MSF relating to humanitarian projects managed from the Brussels office
â€¢ Advise on the role of photography in MSF communication
â€¢ Stimulate publication of MSF photography in external and MSF media
â€¢ Advise on matters of lay-out and design for print and online publications
â€¢ Advise on the strategic role of photography in MSFâ€™s communication and oversee photo production accordingly
â€¢ Maintain a network of professional photographers motivated to work for MSF
â€¢ Go to the field for photo reports
â€¢ Assign photo reports to photographers
â€¢ Take charge of contracts and other administrative aspects of such assignments
â€¢ Judge incoming photography and make it available for the MSF offices worldwide
â€¢ Maintain contact with picture desks of key international publications
â€¢ Advise on matters of lay-out and design
â€¢ Maintain a network of quality designers motivated to work for MSF
MSF is seeking a Photo Editor who brings:
- At least three years of professional experience in photography, preferably partly with international NGOs, or at least three years of professional experience at a picture desk of a major publication
- A strong sense of initiative as well as team play
- A good judgement of ethical aspects of photography
- A strong motivation for working with a humanitarian organisation
- Proven experience in lay-out and design
- Willingness to travel, at times at short notice
- Fluency in English and French
If you are interested, please send a short letter of motivation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, before 11 January, 2009. A link to your online photo portfolio is appreciated.