Ellie’s Story . . .
Ellie Van Houtte is a skilled journalist, photographer and creative communications professional.
Dedicated to connecting communities across the globe together through cultural and political diplomacy, Ellie’s experiences range from documenting social institutions in India to working with non-profit housing, social justice and youth organizations in Washington, DC and even serving as a citizen diplomat on climate change, diplomacy, women’s rights and international affairs.
In her current role as photographer and writer with the Los Altos Town Crier – a weekly community paper with a circulation of approximately 17,000 print subscribers – Ellie uses her storytelling skills to document issues affecting the community.
She enjoys waking up every day with a sense of purpose and passion.
• 2012 Blue Ribbon Finalist for Artistic Photo, California Newspaper Publishers Association’s Better Newspaper Contest
• 2012 Blue Ribbon Finalist for Photo Essay, California Newspaper Publishers Association’s Better Newspaper Contest
• 2012 Women Photojournalists of Washington Annual Juried Photography Exhibition (Work selected for show)
• 2012 WIN Young Women of Achievement Award Winner for Entrepreneurship
• 2012 IFES Democracy Photography Competition Finalist
•2010 Photography Gala Awards Storyteller Contest, Finalist
•2010 Lucie Foundation Scholarship Finalist
•2010 UN Chronicle “Picture Education! Photo Contest” Winner
•2010 Photographer’s Forum 30th Annual Spring Photography Contest Finalist
•2010 Kohne’s Camera Contest First Prize Winner
•2005 Alpha Rho Chi Medal for Service in theDepartment of Architecture and Interior Design at Miami University
•Design and Photo Editing Skills in Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign
•Non-Profit & Political Campaign Expertise
•Creative Skills as a trained architect and artist
•Diplomacy & Intercultural Communications
-Basic language fluency in Bengali, Hindi and Nepali
•Travel Experience in Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Thailand, Kenya, and across Europe
Follow Ellie’s recent work on her Eyes Wide Open Blog and at Her Story Wins.