I. FIXER, TRANSLATOR, INTERPRETER: (Tunisia & Libya, 2011)
I have accompanied international journalists, photojournalists & cameramen, in both Tunisia & Libya, during which times I have been responsible for: translating articles & live interviews for print publications and videos/documentaries, interpreting, locating persons/places, setting up interviews, arranging transportation, coordinating frontier crossings, assistance in acquiring travel documents for Libya and arranging logistical details. As a result, I have built up a list of reliable contacts in both countries.
Press Agencies I have worked with:
New York Times, Il Giornale, MTV (Italy), Sydney Morning Herald, HyperMedia (Cyprus)
refugee camps on the Tunisian-Libyan border, the siege of Tripoli & Bab el Aziziya, pre-election coverage in Tunisia, interview with the family of Mohammed el Bouazizi, the 1st anniversary of the Tunisian revolution in Sidi Bouzid, etc.
- Translator for ICARDA consultant Dr Shinan Kassem in Medenine and Sbeitla as a part of an international project supporting farmers in arid zones October and November 2014.
Please see next page for details & Article / Video / Photography links.
II. TOURISM (1992-present)
• Vice Secretary of the Tunisian Guides Union, Cap Bon Region, Tunisia (2011)
• PROFESSIONAL TOUR GUIDE (in 5 languages) for individuals & tour groups (10-45 persons) since 1992 for travellers from such diverse countries as: U.S.A, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, UK, Austria, Greece, Turkey, Switzerland, Netherlands, Japan.
• Personal guide for foreign embassy staff in Tunisia
• Designing & conducting custom trips for individuals (photography, special interest, etc.)
• Extensive knowledge of Tunisia and the Mediterranean basin countries: their ancient history, archaeology, cultures, demographics, as well as their political and economic histories. Particular fascination with Southern Europe, the Maghreb, Near East & Arab World.
• Working with incentive tours, conferences & special events as well as school groups
• Extensive knowledge of some of the lesser known, off-the-beaten track places in Tunisia
• Some International Tour Companies for whom I have led tours in the past: Abercrombie & Kent, Tunis USA, Adventures Abroad, Elder Treks, Rêvatours, Kensington Tours, Andante Travels, Conti Reisen, Studiosus Reisen, Voyages Jules Verne, etc.
• Mother Tongue: Tunisian Arabic
• Oral & Written Fluency in 5 languages: English, French, German, Italian, & Classical Arabic. Oral & Written Proficiency in Spanish.
• 19th-21st century history of North Africa, the Middle East & Europe
• History & Archaeology of the Mediterranean
• Brevet Technicien Supérieur Section Accueil (BTS) – Diploma in Tourism / Professional Guide in French, English & German languages (Tunis, 1992)
• Italian Language Certification, Dante Alighieri Italian Cultural Center (Tunis, 1992)
• Exploration Level, Cisco Networking Configuration (Tunis, April 2011)
Links to Photos, Articles and Videos 2011:
Tunisia (May 2011): Refugee Camps on Tunisian-Libyan border + pre election topics
Tunisia (July 2011):
Sidi Bouzid & Kasserine, the family of Mohammed el Bouazizi, Tunis pre-election interviews
Libya (Aug./Sept. 2011):
The siege of Tripoli in its final days, the taking of Bab el Aziziya, interview with Salem el Madhoun in Tajoura, Abu Salim prison.
Tunisia (Dec. 2011):
Sidi Bouzid, the 1st Anniversary of the Tunisian Revolution, lives of people after the Revolution, film footage & interviews for “Youth & Revolution” documentary (forthcoming) for MTV (Italy).
Tunisia Jan 2012:
Fixer, Interpreter,Translator for Japanese Journalist. Translation from Arabic into English for print publications; Subjects included current events in post-revolution Tunisia, Japanese investment projects in Tunisia, the case of Yazaki factory in Gafsa, interviews with reprensentativesfrom tunisian media, Manouba university,locals in sidi Bouzid.