I. FIXER, TRANSLATOR, INTERPRETER:
Tunisia, 2014: LIVE TRANSLATOR between Classic Arabic, Tunisian Arabic & English:
Agricultural Support & Training Seminars with Dr. Shinan Kassem of ICARDA (International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas,) & INRAT (the National Institute for Agricultural Research in Tunisia). Attendees included academic researchers, veterinarians, agricultural specialists, members of the Ministry of Agriculture (Tunisia) & local farmers. In Medenine (Institute for Arid Regions), Beni Khedache, Ksar Hallouf, Zoghmar (Sidi Bouzid province). Oct. & Nov. 2014.
Tunisia & Libya, 2011: JOUNALISM FIXER, TRANSLATOR, INTERPRETER
Translation languages: Arabic, English, Italian.
Press Agencies: New York Times, Il Giornale, MTV (Italy), Sydney Morning Herald, HyperMedia (Cyprus), Kyodo News (Japan)
Topics/Events covered: the 2011 Revolutions in Tunisia & Libya, refugee camps on the Tunisian-Libyan border, the siege of Tripoli & Bab el Aziziya, Tunisia’s first democratic election, interview with the family of Mohammed el Bouazizi, the 1st anniversary of the Tunisian revolution in Sidi Bouzid, etc.
Responsibilities: accompanying international journalists, photojournalists & cameramen, in both Tunisia & Libya, Live & Written Translation / Interpreting for articles & interviews for print publications & videos/documentaries, locating persons/places, setting up interviews, arranging transportation, coordinating frontier crossings, assistance in acquiring legal documents for Libya and arranging logistical details.
Please see next page for details & Article / Video / Photography links.
II. TOURISM (1992-present)
• PROFESSIONAL TOUR GUIDE in 5 languages for individuals & tour groups (10-45 persons) since 1992 for travellers from such diverse countries as: U.S.A, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, UK, Austria, Greece, Turkey, Switzerland, Netherlands, Japan.
• Personal guide for foreign embassy staff in Tunisia
• Designing & conducting custom trips for individuals (photography, special interest, etc.)
• Extensive knowledge of Tunisia and the Mediterranean basin countries: their ancient history, archaeology, cultures, demographics, as well as their political and economic histories. Particular fascination with Southern Europe, the Maghreb, Near East & Arab World.
• Working with incentive tours, conferences & special events as well as school groups
• Extensive knowledge of some of the lesser known, off-the-beaten track places in Tunisia
• Some International Tour Companies for whom I have led tours in the past: Abercrombie & Kent, Tunis USA, Adventures Abroad, Elder Treks, Rêvatours, Kensington Tours, Andante Travels, Conti Reisen, Studiosus Reisen, Voyages Jules Verne, etc.
AFFILIATIONS – PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
• President, Association Terre d’Oasis, Djerba, dedicated to the Protection of the Environment & Ecology of Djerba, and the Preservation of traditional ecological farming & fishing methods & craftsmanship, educational awareness, eco village projects, etc.
• Participant: 3 day Seminar (May 2014) “Garbage Treatment & Integration of New Environmental Technologies”. Association of Science & Technology of Djerba (ADST) & Djerba (Institut Supérieur des Etudes Technologiques (ISET)
AFFILIATIONS – PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS (cont.)
• Participant : 2 Day Seminar (June 2014). “Reinforcement of the Capacity of Associative Governance, Internal Communication & Project Management in Civic Society”. LAB’ESS Laboratoire de l’Economie Sociale et Solidaire.
• Mother Tongue: Tunisian Arabic
• Oral & Written Fluency in 5 languages: English, French, German, Italian, & Classical Arabic. Oral & Written Proficiency in Spanish.
• Brevet Technicien Supérieur Section Accueil (BTS) – Diploma in Tourism / Professional Guide in French, English & German languages (Tunis, 1992)
• Italian Language Certification, Dante Alighieri Italian Cultural Center (Tunis, 1992)
• Exploration Level, Cisco Networking Configuration (Tunis, April 2011)
• History, Archaeology, Languages, Politics, Cultures of North Africa, the Middle East & Europe
Links to Photos, Articles and Videos 2011:
Tunisia (May 2011): Refugee Camps on Tunisian-Libyan border (Choucha & Remada) + pre election topics
Tunisia (July 2011): Sidi Bouzid & Kasserine, the family of Mohammed el Bouazizi, Tunis pre-election interviews. New York Times with Kareem Fahim & Samuel Aranda
Libya (Aug./Sept. 2011): New York Times: Anthony Shadid, Nicholas, Kristof, Trevor Hicks, Ben Soloman, etc. The siege of Tripoli in its final days, the taking of Bab el Aziziya, interview with Salem el Madhoun in Tajoura, Abu Salim prison.
Tunisia (Dec. 2011): Il Giornale with Gian Micalessin. Sidi Bouzid, the 1st Anniversary of the Tunisian Revolution, lives of people after the Revolution, film footage & interviews for “Youth & Revolution” documentary (MTV Italy).
Tunisia (Jan. 2012): The future of Tunisia under EnNadha, interview with Mr. Sofiane BenHmida (prominent journalist for Nessma TV, Tunisia), Japanese investment projects in Tunisia – the case of Yazaki factory in Gafsa, the Salafist movements in Manouba University (Tunis), Sidi Bouzid, etc.
With Mr. Kenji Hasegawa, Middle East Correspondent, Cairo Bureau Chief, Kyodo News (Japan)