2012 NYFA Mentoring Program
for Immigrant Artists
Call for Applications!
DEADLINE: Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 11:59pm
The NYFA Immigrant Artist Project is pleased to announce the call for applications for the 6th Cycle of our flagship Mentoring Program for Immigrant Artists.
The 2012 Mentoring Program will pair emerging immigrant artists with artists from the NYFA Fellowship Program. Our NYFA Fellows will act as one-on-one Mentors to their Mentees for a period of six months. They will help them in gaining broader access to the New York cultural community by sharing ideas, advice, and resources. Mentors will also guide Mentees in achieving one or more specific goals and objectives. This year’s cycle will take place from April to September of 2012.
Along with the services and resources of the overall Mentoring Program, we are pleased to offer five Van Lier Fellowships this year! This award will provide eligible Mentees with a modest stipend and added professional development support.
This is a competitive program that is free of charge to accepted participants. The first five cycles of the Mentoring Program were highly successful with participants advancing in their careers and forming lasting bonds with their Mentors and other participants.
Do take advantage of this opportunity or forward it to someone who will!
Applicants are open to apply in the following artistic disciplines:
• Architecture/Environmental Structures/Design (Only open to Van Lier Fellowship Applicants)
• Digital/Electronic Arts
• Nonfiction Literature
• Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts
If you are applying to the Overall Mentoring Program in the categories of Crafts/Sculpture, Digital/Electronic Arts, Nonfiction Literature, Poetry, or Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts, you will need to meet all of the below requirements:
• Live within the New York Tri-State metropolitan area (NY, NJ, and CT).
• Were born outside of the United States. (Those born in United States territories may apply.)
• Attended at least Kindergarten – 8th Grade schooling outside the United States.
• Have been pursuing a career as an artist within the range of 1-10 years in the United States.
• Are NOT currently enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate degree program.
If you are applying to the Van Lier Fellowship in the categories of Architecture/ Environmental Structures/ Design or Printmaking/Drawing/Book Arts, you will need to meet the above requirements IN ADDITION to the ones below:
• Age 30 years or younger
• Are NOT currently enrolled in a degree-granting program nor represented by a gallery.
Expectations for Mentees
• To set realistic goals and objectives, which are achievable within a short term program.
• To be available to communicate with his/her Mentor for at least six hours and attend three group meetings.
• For Van Lier Fellows, to also hold 4 individual meetings with his/her Mentor in person.
1. You will need to submit:
◦ An Online Application
◦ THREE Work Samples Via Mail
2. PLEASE read ALL instructions carefully on the Mentoring Program page of the NYFA website here before applying. application here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CCZX5Y3
1. Applications are DUE ONLINE by 11:59pm on Tuesday, January 31, 2012. In addition, THREE WORK SAMPLES should be sent VIA MAIL and POSTMARKED by that date.
We will hold an Informational Session on the Application Process at NYFA (directions) on January 10, at 6pm. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
All applicants will receive notification of final decisions by April 2012.
Please contact the NYFA Immigrant Artist Project team at email@example.com or call us at (212) 366-6900 ext. 249, with any questions.
The 2012 NYFA Mentoring Program for Immigrant Artists is made possible by the generous support of Deutsche Bank Americas Foundation and The New York Community Trust.
2012-01-03 20:28:34 UTC
31 Jan 2012 00:01