* My Profile My Galleries My Networks

Brussels Freelancing + Schengen rules?


I am leaving for Brussels in mid-September for a 90 day stay, during which I’ll be doing freelance reporting on EU institutions for at least one confirmed client, and will hopefully be picking up a few additional clients over the summer.

What’s not totally clear from the europa.eu and diplomatie.be websites is how immigration handles short-stay workers. I’ll be under the 90 day visa-exempt period (from United States) which allows for “leisure travel and business trips” and I’m not working for a single steady employer – do I need to apply for a work permit and visa, or does freelancing count as a business stay?

Also, does anyone have advice for getting credentials to cover regularly scheduled EU proceedings? I have previously been credentialed for the last NATO summit in Chicago and have covered the EU stateside, and I am currently credentialed with the US House/Senate press galleries so that should count as a “press card.” Getting a letter acknowledging my work for the primary client won’t be a problem either. I’m doing both print and video – I understand that there are separate accreditations.

I’ll be living in Brussels close to the EU area and leaving in early December.

Thanks everyone.

by Jared Angle at 2014-05-12 01:46:42 UTC | Bookmark | | Report spam→

Hi Jared I dont know exactly the regulation for working in Europe from USA. For covering events in all the world the best credential is the IFJ press card, more information here:


Good luck in Europe

by hal | 29 May 2014 19:05 | spain, Spain | | Report spam→

Get notified when someone replies to this thread:
Feed-icon-10x10 via RSS
Icon_email via email
You can unsubscribe later.

More about sponsorship→


Jared Angle, Freelance Journalist Jared Angle
Freelance Journalist
Brussels , Belgium
hal, photographer hal
Madrid , Spain


Top↑ | RSS/XML | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | support@lightstalkers.org / ©2004-2015 November Eleven