* My Profile My Galleries My Networks

General Insurance Query - travel and kit - UK

I was wandering if anyone had links to either companies, or articles that covered insurance for freelancers while working – specifically for UK residents/UK based people.

e.g. working on your own while travelling and working for someone else in some of the weird and wonderful places you folks seems to get to.

I realise there are so many caveats on insurance – e.g. do you want war cover, limits etc.

I’d also like some info on what type of insurance folks on here use. Do you just chance it with standard travel insurance or what (which is no doubt a bit dodgy if you are actually working at the time).

I’ve had a look through previous posts but some have been US centric, or have mentioned places like Reporters Without Borders where you need a press card, or have been about medical insurance so please forgive the topic coming up again. I’m just looking to find out a bit more, but I realise I’ve not been too specific.

Also, if you have different assignments (don’t laugh at this next bit) in some wacky places (say Afghanistan, Liberia say) do you take out specific policies for each trip say if they are on FCO advisories and ‘normal’ companies don’t cover them?


by Darren Craig at 2008-01-11 18:55:51 UTC (ed. Mar 12 2008 ) edinburgh , United Kingdom | Bookmark | | Report spam→

With my NPPA membership, I can get a policy with Hayes… this covers most everything i do, including some very shady (dodgy to you limeys!) spots.

by Brian L Frank | 12 Jan 2008 03:01 | San Francisco, United States | | Report spam→
I’m a freelance tv cameraman and use a UK company called Towergate Camerasure (Tel 08704115511) who specialise in insuring camera equipment for freelancers (tv and snappers)worldwide. If travelling to more unruly places you can take out specialist personal and equipment insurance through http://www.jmi.co.uk/home.htm
Hope this helps a bit. Rhys

by Rhys Williams | 12 Jan 2008 13:01 | Wales, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
In the UK, I use Williamson Carson, google it, they are a good effective insurance company for photographers, they settle claims quickly, you probably have to discuss with them the level of coverage you want re. How much time outside Europe you will be spending, what conditions you will be working in: war or not.

by Andrew Wheeler | 12 Jan 2008 15:01 | Paris, France | | Report spam→
Towergate are good, as mentioned. i’m presently using Photoguard which can be done entirely online.

by david sutherland | 12 Jan 2008 16:01 (ed. Jan 12 2008) | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
Thanks for the info so far – keep them coming!
As for Photoguard I’ve used them on a 1 year travel trip before. Took a bit of coaxing but were eventually very helpful, allowing me to buy a replacement camera out in BKK after getting confirmation mine was bust beyond belief. The person on the other end even perservered with making noisy phone calls to be in Hanoi while walking along the street to discuss the claim.

by Darren Craig | 12 Jan 2008 16:01 | edinburgh, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
photoguard, i claimed with them a few years ago when i had stuff nicked india, very good, no problems.


by Richard Greaves | 12 Jan 2008 16:01 | birmingham, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
I have previously used Morgan Richardson, then Williamson Carson, and am now with Imaging Insurance. I cannot speak for any of them with regard to settling claims, as I have yet to make one, but all have been perfectly pleasant to deal with. I have equipment cover for my cameras and lighting, all risks both at home and in my office, and throughout the UK, and with 45 days cover worldwide as standard. Morgan Richardson used to offer worldwide cover 365 days a year. I do not know if they still do. I also have employers liability insurance (a must if you use assistants), public liability insurance (a must for virtually anything out of your home/office, and there a good many facilities managers in the UK who will not you photograph commerically on their property without it), and professional indemnity cover (a must if you do not want to get sued out of existance by a client when the whole shoot goes tits up for reasons beyond your control).
The key thing to consider with the last two covers is that most insurers will extend them beyond UK borders (with notice given), but they will NOT extend to cover in the United States or Canada, purely because of the punitive damages that are awarded there. You will, generally need to get temporary cover from a broker in the US or Canada, but it is very expensive. A couple of years ago I did a shoot in Washington DC and persuaded the clients to sign a jurisdictional waiver for the PI – in effect, if I fucked up, they agreed to sue me only in the UK courts, not the US. As for public liability, the cheapest cover I could get for the 8 hours of the shoot was over £500.00! As far as I am concerned this is restrictive practice by the back door, becasue it prices us Brits out of the US market. Our American friends find that their cover works here fine – but then again things are a little ore civilised here (for the time being) and litigation is not yet a national pastime. Having sad that my PI premiums keep jumping every year – and like I said, I have never claimed.

Hope that helps, Michael

PS I winged it on the public liability out there – just made sure I was careful!

by Michael Cockerham | 12 Jan 2008 21:01 | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
I used photoguard and had a claim for a theft in Sri Lanka a while ago, they turned down the claim, the case went legal, I lost and was told that any their policy on theft wasnt worth the paper it was written on, complained to ombudsman, he suggested I get another insurer as their policy wording was such that they were perfectly entitled not to pay out given the circumstances – basically it turns out I have have needed to have been carrying the equipment and asssaulted with polica as witnesses in order to have had a succesful claim -just my experience but (suprise) have never been back with them since and cant recommed them.

by Jason Tanner | 13 Jan 2008 00:01 | Wales, United Kingdom | | Report spam→

Get notified when someone replies to this thread:
Feed-icon-10x10 via RSS
Icon_email via email
You can unsubscribe later.

More about sponsorship→


Darren Craig, "inbetween jobs" Darren Craig
"inbetween jobs"
(wannabe Photojournalist)
Perpignan , France
Brian L Frank, Photojournalist Brian L Frank
San Francisco , United States ( SFO )
Rhys Williams, Television News Cameraman Rhys Williams
Television News Cameraman
(video news documentary hostile)
Cardiff , United Kingdom
Andrew Wheeler, Photographer Andrew Wheeler
Paris , France
david sutherland, travel photographer david sutherland
travel photographer
London , United Kingdom
Richard Greaves, Photography & Social / Ed Richard Greaves
Photography & Social / Ed
(keep on truckin!!!)
Birmingham , United Kingdom
Michael Cockerham, Documentalistic Bystander Michael Cockerham
Documentalistic Bystander
(Image Matters)
Cologne , Germany
Jason Tanner, Photographer Jason Tanner
San Jose , Costa Rica


Top↑ | RSS/XML | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | support@lightstalkers.org / ©2004-2015 November Eleven