NPPA is offering 80 tuition grants for its programs this year, plus travel grants for those who apply for those separately.
Application deadline for the Northern Short Course in New Jersey and the NewsVideo workshop in Oklahoma is tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb. 23), and everything else is March 11.
There’s 10 spots for the NewsVideo Workshop. I recently picked up the Yoder award to go, and it would be decent to do the Shoot & Edit program with other LS’ers.
from here http://nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2010/02/tuition.html :
NPPA’s executive director said that tuition grants will be available for the following 2010 NPPA educational events:
- Northern Short Course, New Brunswick, NJ, March 11 â€“ 13 (20 grants available)
- News Video Workshop, Norman, OK, March 14 â€“ 19 (10 grants available)
- Advanced Storytelling Workshop, San Marcos, TX, April 11 â€“ 16 (5 grants available)
- Multimedia Immersion, Syracuse, NY, May 18 â€“ 22 (5 grants available)
- Convergence, SC or GA, July TBA (40 grants available)
“NPPA will give first consideration to those applications who demonstrate they have been adversely affected by the economic collapse within the media industry,” Straight said today. “If this applies to you, please include with your application a description of your situation and any corroborating information (such as a notice of layoff, contact information for your former employer, cancelled freelance assignments, etc.).”
Applications for the Northern Short Course and NewsVideo Workshop must be received by February 23, 2010. Applications for all the other events must be received by March 11, 2010.
To apply for one of these tuition grants, send an eMail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the eMail’s subject line “Tuition Grant” followed by the name of the workshop you’re applying for. (Example: “Tuition Grant – NewsVideo Workshop”).
To be considered for a grant, applicants should include the following:
- The event you are applying for
- Name, address, phone number, eMail
- Employment history and statement that you qualify using the ACA criteria described above
- Short description of how furthering your education will help you as a professional
- Demonstration of hardship as outlined above (if applicable)
- And whether you will be able to use a tuition grant even if you have to pay your own travel
EDIT: changed the deadline for the the NewsVideo Workshop
[a former member]
2010-02-22 09:56:01 UTC