* My Profile My Galleries My Networks

How to enter Darfur (refugee camps)?

I am planning a trip to Darfur refugee camps, sooner rather than later. Would like to hear experiences of others, especially on official aspects such as visa: how long to get journalists’ visa, are they given at all? Or should I avoid that and try another way to enter?
And how freely can you work (what level of control by Sudanese authorities in refugee camps). Thanks.

by Jan Banning at 2007-01-27 13:56:00 UTC (ed. Mar 12 2008 ) Utrecht , Netherlands | Bookmark | | Report spam→

I have been in 2005 in Bahr el Ghazal in Therapeutic Feeding Centers. I get all permission with help of humanitarian organization Action Against Hunger USA.
USA is responsible for south of Sudan and French AAH take north including Darfur. You could try to talk with French Action Against Hunger.
There is a visa if you going from the north and there is a SPLM/SPLA travel permit if you travel from south(stamped by SRRC “Sudan Relief And Rehabilitation Commission” with office in Nairobi). Difficult to say what is better for you. If someone from the north will get you with SPLA papers you can have a trouble. But I was there some time ago.
Before I take my camera to hand I had to wait for the meeting with authorities. But after that the only problem was that everybody wanted to be on a photo.
I also tried in Kakuma refuge camp in Kenya. I traveled there with no papers and they didn’t let me to take any pictures.
Good luck and I hope you get great pictures.

by Blazej Mikula | 28 Jan 2007 14:01 | Cambridge, United Kingdom | | Report spam→

More about sponsorship→


Jan Banning, Photographer Jan Banning
Utrecht , Netherlands
Blazej Mikula, Photographer Blazej Mikula
Cambridge , United Kingdom


Top↑ | RSS/XML | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | support@lightstalkers.org / ©2004-2015 November Eleven