NOTE: I am finished with this issue and don’t need more photos on these subjects now. Thank you to the many who helped me with this!
Thanks to everyone who has written to me already. If you saw this post before October 13, I have just changed the deadline to November 1st and added some more topics (Israel-Gaza-Lebanon war destruction in the past few months). The changes are below.
I’m working on the next issue of Middle East Report magazine. We are a quarterly published by the Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP), an independent non-profit organization. We offer a progressive, critical analysis of Middle East politics and society and US policy in the region.
As a small non-profit we offer $100 per photo published, we can only print in black and white and we usually print photos at a half page or larger (in other words, they look good and are presented as important sources of information in their own right).
This next issue is primarily about Iran, with one article about Basra, Iraq, Israel-Gaza-Lebanon and another on Libya. Here is the general idea of what we need and I think Lightstalker members might have:
- Documentary shots of life in Iran, recent is important, even better if they are while Ahmadinejad has been president (since August 2005)
- Suppression of dissidents in Iran, Ramin Jahanbegloo
- Kurds and Baluch in Iran (something showing these minority groups expressing an “ethnic” identity or Sunni consciousness)
- Labor activism in Iran, the bus driver’s strike, teacher’s strike, union activity, crackdowns on activists
- Young Iranian women negotiating dress and public space — women with the newer minimalist versions of the hijab, couples in parks, women doing “male” things such as playing soccer
- Basra, Iraq — documentary shots of daily life, oil workers, Sadrists, Fudhala party (Sadrist splinter group), secular Shia politicians
- Libya — Qaddafi, his son Sayf al-Islam, documentary shots of daily life
- Israel-Gaza-Lebanon — this article is not confirmed, but will be about international legal analysis of war crimes and the like, so we’d need photos of wartime damage in all three places
My deadline to get high-res photos is November 1st, but I will need to see low-res samples sooner, so if you have anything you’d like me to see, let me know soon.
Thank you all for your good work.
Michelle L. Woodward
Photo editor, Middle East Report magazine
(published quarterly by MERIP)
Michelle L. Woodward
2006-10-04 16:17:41 UTC
Mar 12 2008