Open Call for Applications
Please note the new application timeline for 2012-13
Application Deadline: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 5PM
Applicants must submit the Online Application Form and Work Samples by the deadline to be considered. Late and incomplete applications are not considered.
Please note that Application Guidelines are new for 2012-2013.
Application to Workspace is open to emerging visual artists and writers working in a range of disciplines and genres.
Collaborative pairs (no more than 2) are eligible to apply. Eligible collaborative applicants should submit one application that includes a joint biography and resume that demonstrate a history of collaboration.
International applicants are eligible for this program.
Please note that LMCC offers workspace only, NOT living space. If accepted, national and international residents are responsible for their own visa, travel, living and housing expenses, and arrangements. LMCC can only offer minimal assistance to international residents in securing necessary immigration documents. The small stipend/materials fee will not be sufficient for living expenses.
Applicants must choose to apply as either a visual artist or writer; applicants cannot apply in both categories.
Commercially focused artists with a client-based practice should review the resources offered by Workspace to determine if the program is appropriate for their artistic practice.
Artists and writers who will be participating in another residency or professional development program from September 2012–May 2013;
Artists and writers who will be matriculated as students at any level from September 2012–May 2013;
Performing artists or groups. Performing arts groups might consider our Swing Space program;
Collaborative or collective groups with more than 2 members;
Artists and writers who have been previously served by LMCC’s Studioscape, World Views, New Views, or Workspace residency programs;
Past residents of LMCC’s other residency programs are not eligible to apply if they were selected for any residency during 2011.
The Selection Process
LMCC expects to receive approximately 900 applications from visual artists and 100 applications from writers for Workspace this year. Applications are pre-screened by LMCC staff and reviewed by an independent selection panel comprised of artists, writers, and arts and literary professionals. Our selection panels change each year. Visual artists and writers will be reviewed by separate panels. Each panel will select a group of finalists to be interviewed by LMCC staff. Of these finalists, approximately 15–20 visual artists and 6–8 writers will be selected to participate.
The selection panels will review and rank all applicants according to the following criteria:
• Merit and Professional Record, based primarily on Work Samples;
• Career record, based primarily on Narrative Biography and Resume;
• Proposed projects and ideas, as expressed in the Proposal and Statement.
LMCC is committed to maintaining diversity in all of its programs.
STEP 2: SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION FORM + WORK SAMPLES
Complete and submit the Online Application Form, including work samples and caption information.
The Online Application Form asks applicants to provide:
◦ Contact Information
◦ Professional References
◦ Narrative Biography
◦ Artist’s or Writer’s Statement
◦ Work Samples and Caption Information
◦ Optional Survey
WORK SAMPLE SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Please note that Work Sample Submission Instructions are new for 2012–2013.
The Work Sample is a critical element of your application. Prepare a well-organized Work Sample that represents your best work. Work Samples are reviewed in concert with the submitted Artist Statement and Proposal. During the selection process images and video will be projected along with required caption information.
Work Samples will be collected online via the Online Application Form.
Applicants may choose one of three Work Sample Options:
• Option 1 – Digital Images:
• Eight (8) digital images
• Images must be saved as JPEG files, 800 pixels in the longest dimension, at 72dpi.
• Each image filename must be saved as “LastName_FirstName_##” (e.g. Smith_John_01.jpg, Smith_John_02.jpg, etc.)
• Option 2 – Video/Audio:
• Four (4) minutes of video/audio
• For time-based media only.
• Applicants may submit up to two (2) clips of video/audio totaling no more than four (4) minutes of footage.
• Video/Audio clips are accepted as Weblinks to clips hosted on external sites (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.). Caption Information and Weblinks should be entered into the appropriate field on the Online Application Form. Applicants must provide passwords for password-protected videos if applicable.
• Applicants should ensure that hosted online Work Samples follow the above guidelines and are accessible online through May 2012.
• Option 3 – Combination of Images and Video/Audio:
• Four(4) digital images AND one (1) clip of video/audio totaling two (2) minutes: Follow above instructions for labeling and formatting.
Submit ONE of the following as a PDF or Word document. Applicants may provide any number of works totaling the designated number of pages. The applicant’s name, title of the work, and a page number should appear on each page of the manuscript.
• Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Script: Up to 20 double-spaced pages in 10–12 point font.
• Poetry: Up to 10 pages in 10–12 point font.
• Manuscripts and Caption Information will be uploaded on the Online Application Form.
We do not accept:
◦ Applications or Work Samples by conventional mail;
◦ 35mm slides or VHS;
◦ Original artwork;
◦ PowerPoint presentations or slideshows;
◦ Handwritten documents;
◦ Letters of recommendation;
◦ Support materials, including reviews, catalogues, and publications.
Work Samples that do not function or do not follow the above submission guidelines will not be considered.
Applications will only be considered if they are complete, on-time, and adhere to all guidelines. A complete application includes complete submission of the Online Application Form including the Work Samples by the receipt deadline, Thursday, January 19, 2012, 5PM.
All applicants will be notified via email about their application status around March/April 2012. Finalist candidates will be contacted to schedule interviews around April 2012. PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL TO INQUIRE ABOUT RESULTS.
If you have additional questions, LMCC staff is happy to assist. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2011-12-08 19:22:40 UTC
19 Jan 2012 00:01