Director, Open Internet Tools Project
The Open Technology Initiative is looking for a Director for its Open Internet Tools Project (OITP). OITP incubates open source projects that enable secure, anonymous, reliable, and unrestricted communication on the Internet. OITP’s goal is to reduce the ability of state and non-state actors to impose censorship or other restrictions on Internet access and communications. The OITP Director will oversee the staff and operations of the Project and be responsible, directly or by delegation, for meeting key project deliverables, preparing all reports, liaising with the OITP steering committee, fundraising to support the initiative, and ensuring the initiative’s overall success.
• Oversee day-to-day operations of OITP.
• Supervise OITP staff.
• Help recruit and incubate open source circumvention technology projects.
• Liaise with government officials, industry representatives, and public interest allies.
• Lead fundraising efforts to sustain the project.
• Develop documentation, outreach materials, and online presence for OITP.
• Coordinate technical assets and IT infrastructure to support OITP projects.
• Prepare progress and end-of-year reports.
• Conduct media outreach and PR.
• Plan and organize code sprints, forums, and other convenings.
• Fulfill other duties as discussed and assigned by the OITP Steering Committee and OTI Director.
The ideal candidate will have these qualifications:
• Deep knowledge of open source and circumvention/security technologies.
• 5+ years project management experience.
• 3+ years programming experience and fluency in multiple programming languages.
• Extensive contacts throughout human rights and open source R&D communities.
• Proven research and analytical skills and strong writing and editing ability.
• Significant fundraising contacts and experience.
• Media and public relations expertise.
Email a resume, cover letter, and writing sample (no longer than six pages) to: email@example.com by January 31, 2012. Please state “Director, Open Internet Tools Project” in the e-mail subject line. No phone calls please.
Salary package commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
2012-01-14 01:09:32 UTC
31 Jan 2012 00:01