* My Profile My Galleries My Networks

Press Card?

I’m British, currently UK based, about to set off on a long term trip along the coast of France, Spain, Portugal, back along the south coast of Spain, then setting up a new base in Spain, prior to heading over to Morocco and hopefully other regions of Africa after that. Trips to Japan, California and Australia are scheduled for the following year, 2009/10. I’m self funded, so not on a contract anywhere. I may be going to apply for residence in Spain once I’ve been there again for 3 months plus.

I don’t currently hold a press card, but am thinking it might be of help to me in certain circumstances. Can anyone recommend the best way to go about obtaining one. I gather I can get one through joining the NUJ. ANyone know the fastest way for me to get one, as there seem to be a couple of ways to go about it.

by Ando Perez at 2008-04-30 08:24:49 UTC (ed. May 1 2008 ) St.Ives, Cornwall , United Kingdom | Bookmark | | Report spam→

Hmm, well to get NUJ members, in my experience, you need to be able to prove that you’re earning the bulk of your income through photography, journalism or some form of publishing. As was said to me “we get people coming in who’ve written great stuff, taken great images from it – but they’re not making their living from it, so we can’t give them membership”.

by Dave Walsh | 30 Apr 2008 10:04 | Dublin, Ireland | | Report spam→
Hey there
you can contact the IFJ http://ifj.org/ wich they will hel pyou with the referent in your country. Tha federation holds all journalist organizations worldwide and they will tell you wich one you will contact to have a press card. I contacted them for a press card and then they told me to ask to the FNSI the Italian journalist trade union that with 60€ and a personal passport format picture gave me the press card.
hope it helps.

by Antonino Condorelli | 30 Apr 2008 12:04 | Catanzaro, Italy | | Report spam→
You could try the NUJ or the BPPA, although both have fairly strict criteria. If you apply for an NUJ card you need to join the union first, but you can also obtain an IFJ card at the same time when you apply for a card via them.

by [former member] | 30 Apr 2008 16:04 | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
Thanks guys. This is really helpful. Will look into both the NUJ & BPPA & IFJ.

by Ando Perez | 30 Apr 2008 17:04 | St.Ives, Cornwall, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
just a thought, i did a shoot in drc. i just made up a card in cs2 with my agency name and press in bold letters… the officials bought into it! it will surprise you how far a bit of bs and bluff will go. i find that basic humanity and common decency get me so much further though. j

ps i still plan to get my ifj card!

by John Robinson | 01 May 2008 07:05 | kwazulu-natal, South Africa | | Report spam→

Get notified when someone replies to this thread:
Feed-icon-10x10 via RSS
Icon_email via email
You can unsubscribe later.

More about sponsorship→


Ando Perez, Writer & Photographer Ando Perez
Writer & Photographer
Brighton , United Kingdom
Dave Walsh, Writer, photographer Dave Walsh
Writer, photographer
(Energy and Environment)
Wexford , Ireland
Antonino Condorelli, Photojournalist Antonino Condorelli
Catanzaro , Italy
John Robinson, Photographer John Robinson
(works with light)
Pigeon Club , South Africa


Top↑ | RSS/XML | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | support@lightstalkers.org / ©2004-2015 November Eleven