* "Hughes" and "Ascom" handsets are generally the same, with minor differences in the keypads. Ascom is Swiss made, Hughes models are made in Mexico.
* Thuraya's satelitte coverage is regional, covering the middle east, and parts of asia.
* It has a GSM mode, where GSM service is available.
* In Sat mode, thurayas need a clear line of sight to the sky, and generally need to be used outside, unless an optional external antennae is rigged up outside.
* Thuraya handsets have built in GPS units, which can provide GPS coordinates, record way points, and transmit coordinates as SMS messages.