Saad Shahriar is a photo-reporter, visual journalist, broadcast content researcher, and documentary filmmaker born in Chawkbazar, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
He completed his Bachelor in Journalism & Media Studies, and took a course in Photography, also at present he is concentrating in Broadcast & Cross-Media Journalism. He participated in a weeklong Photojournalism workshop which has trained by ZEPPELIN (photo agency of France) in February, 2011. By completing the workshop and developing a reportage project as a successful participant he has been contracted with ZEPPELIN and SIPA PRESS as a photojournalist in February, 2011. In March 2013 he went to Berlin and completed contemporary documentation workshop through theoretical masterclasses and practical shooting titled “Cinema Mundi” by Stefano De Luigi from VII Photo Agency at The Wye, Berlin, Germany organized by pho[to-Be]rlin. During this workshop the assigned theme was “Cinema and Berlin”.
His photo-documentary/ photojournalistic works has been published in CNN, Life Force Magazine, National Geographic Online, Reportage, Reuters, Social Documentary.Net, Tribal Truth, and 20minutes.Fr.
His areas of interests are cultural documentation, especially those that involve political crises. He has worked extensively with tribes in the hill tracks of Bangladesh, climate issues, and on urban problems prevalent in the cities of Bangladesh.
Work Arena >>
- BBC Media Action as a content researcher (present)
- CNN iReport as an assigned iReporter
- ZeppelinNetwork/ SIPA PRESS as a photojournalist and exclusive news correspondent (February 2011- June 2013)
- NEW AGE as a staff photojournalist (April 2010- May 2012)
- DrikNEWS as a photographer (June 2009- September 2009)
- Samakal as a feature writer (February 2009- March 2010)
- Interview and photojournalistic experience on manmade disaster of Rana plaza titled “The Death Ground” has been broadcasted by CNN International on May 18, 2013 (230 AM ET).
- CNN featured him as one of the iRepoter in February 2013.
- His photograph selected for Best of Annual Selection 2012 by Reportage.
- In 2010 Tribal Truth featured him and his work on traditional textile workers titled “Threading Six Yards of Legacy”.
- Earned a badge from CNN “Original Superstar” for my photo story on slum demolishes in August 13, 2010.
- In 2010 August one of his photograph were selected as a BEST IMAGE of GUARDIAN’S BEEN THERE Travel Photo Contest on theme: Local Life.
- In 2009 two of his photographs were reviewed by REUTERS Editor’s Blog [OUR take on YOUR take].
- More than 10 of his photographs were selected in REUTERS weekly showcase TOP PICTURES in the year of 2009-2011.
- Picture titled ARCHITECTURE OF SCARCITY Winner of the competition SECURITY IN DHAKA organizes by GTZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Technische Zusammenarbeit) in 2009. Awarded picture exhibited for 10 days in GTZ conference hall & GOETHE-INSTITUT, Dhaka, Bangladesh.