Born in Jakarta, Indonesia, I moved to the United States at age 10. I picked up the camera for the first time in high school. I received my Bachelors degree in Photography from Sacramento State University with an emphasis in Fine Art.
After almost a decade of working in the corporate world and neglecting to pursue my passion, I quit my job in 2008 and decided to travel the world. However, by a twist of fate I found myself in the middle of Nov. 26 terrorist attack in Mumbai, India. My first instinct was to grab my cameras and document the series of events that unfolded around me. I returned to the States in 2009, sold most of my possessions, and decided to pursue photojournalism. I have worked on documentary projects in the USA, Indonesia, China, India, Haiti, and Thailand.
Initially photography started as a medium to record a moment in time just in case my memory fails. As for self-expressions, the camera was a window to view the world through my distinct reality. Nevertheless, photography to me is also powerful instrument for social change. Beyond the act of recording, my aim as a photographer is to tell a story that voices the truth, evokes empathy, and ultimately moves people into action. Having a camera in my hand gives me both a rare privilege and a profound responsibility. Though the act of taking a photograph is instant, the impact of a photograph is incredible and enduring.
I am currently based in Jakarta, Indonesia dividing my time between commissioned assignments and self-initiated projects focusing on social, environmental, and human rights issues. I have done campaigns for Greenpeace International and my photographs have been featured in Phnom Penh Post, International Herald Tribune, New York Magazine, and the New York Times. I have received recognitions from Pictures of the Year International (POYi) Emerging Vision Incentive, Reminders Project Asian Photographers Grant, and International Photography Awards (IPA).
- Guizhou International Photo Festival Exhibition, China.
- Manuel Rivera-Ortiz Foundation Exhibition, Gallery Huit Arles, France.
- Top 12 finalists for the Manuel Rivera-Ortiz Foundation Grant (Honorable Mention).
- Obscura Photo Festival, Georgetown, Penang.
- FCCT/OnAsia Photo Contest Honourable Mention.
- Joop Swart Masterclass Nomination
- Solo Exhibition Against All Odds Angkor Photo Festival, Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- Magnum Emergency Fund Nomination.
- 3rd Place Feature Picture Story SFBAPPA Annual News Photo Contest.
- Dali International Photography Exhibition
- Inaugural Reminders Project Asian Photographers Grant.
- Pictures of the Year International (POYi) Emerging Vision Incentive Finalist for Against All Odds.
- Selected for Asian American Journalist Association-Sacramento Bee Internship.
- Eddie Adams Workshop XXIII.
- Missouri Photo Workshop MPW.62 (Nikon Emerging Professional Scholarship).
- International Photography Awards (IPA): 3rd Place Editorial General News & Honorable Mentions.
- 2nd Place Feature Picture Story SFBAPPA Annual News Photo Contest.