* My Profile My Galleries My Networks

Camera & equipmente insurance

Im buying a new camera in a month that will cost me around $5400 . and im thinking about having it insured … Anybody know any company i can trust and what kind of insurance i can get? will it cover my equipment even if im traveling ?

by [a former member] at 2005-01-18 00:56:28 UTC (ed. Mar 12 2008 ) | Bookmark | | Report spam→


Here’s a link from Hays insurance, NPPA endorses them so they can’t be that bad. The service and protection offered sounds good, take a look



by Nayan Sthankiya | 18 Jan 2005 02:01 | | Report spam→
Hays is actually quite good. I’ve had insurance with them for the last 5 years. And more importantly they cover rental equipment as well (my policy is up to $15,000). A lot of rental houses won’t rent to you if you don’t have insurance. 3 years ago my car got broken into in Miami and they stole all the rental gear + my own stuff out of the trunk. The entire cost of the rental gear was covered by Hays and there was a small deductable on my own gear. I can tell you that there was no way in hell that I was going to be able to cover all $25,000 worth of gear that I had with me.


by [former member] | 18 Jan 2005 06:01 | | Report spam→
word up…hays is good. i use them, they don’t even drop you right away if you pay late as they know that they are dealing with photographers.

by [former member] | 18 Jan 2005 07:01 | | Report spam→
I’m insured in Canada by CG&B Group, which used to be Unionville Insurance. They offer a comprehensive package customized for photographers, called fittingly enough, “Photopac”. I have the basic package, and get $25,000 in personal equipment, $20,000 in rental coverage, and $1-million in liability. There are other bells and whistles as well, including (if memory serves me right) studio insurance, etc. It costs me $700 a year.

The person I deal with is
Louise Jones: 905-305-9541

Hope that helps somebody!

by John Cullen | 18 Jan 2005 08:01 | | Report spam→
Does CG&B insure Americans or is it limited to Canadian citizens?

by Keith Bedford | 18 Jan 2005 08:01 (ed. Jan 18 2005) | | Report spam→
Thanx everybody for the help … i liked the policy of Hays , im still looking around but it my be it.

thanx again!

by [former member] | 18 Jan 2005 10:01 | | Report spam→
I’m pretty sure they can only insure Canadians, but they might have a subsidiary stateside. No indications on the website, though.

by John Cullen | 18 Jan 2005 11:01 | | Report spam→
so to use hays services do i have to be american citizen?

by [former member] | 18 Jan 2005 12:01 | | Report spam→
I Don’t think it matters but you could always fire off an email to them with any questions you might have. They are very helpful.

Jim Koenigsdorf

by Nayan Sthankiya | 19 Jan 2005 17:01 | | Report spam→
Thanx Nayan , I will certainlly do that .

by [former member] | 20 Jan 2005 03:01 | | Report spam→
Taylor and Taylor in NYC writes policies through St Pauls for ASMP members that includes, equiment, rentals, studio and bailee liabilities ( stuff on loan to you).

Not sure if they offer it without ASMP membership

by [former member] | 21 Jan 2005 11:01 | | Report spam→
I got mine with Thomas C. Pickard and Co.. They pretty much deal strictly with photographers and the film industry. Their base package covers $15,000 camera and lighting gear plus extra coverage to include computers, laptops, rentals, and $2 million liability. Coverage is worldwide but excludes warzones, and oddly enough, 60+ passenger ships. Rates are between $500-$800 depending where you reside. I must say though that I have yet to make a claim (knock on wood), so I don’t know how they will respond. I have heard good things.

They are at http://www.groupinsure.com/ I dealt with Casey Berry. He was able to communicate in very plain language what was covered, and what wasn’t

by Jethro Soudant | 29 Jan 2005 08:01 | Buffalo, NY, United States | | Report spam→
K, so here is the puzzle I am dealing with. I am an American living in England. I won’t be able to apply for lots of American based insurance schemes like renters/home owners insurance. Which if you can, really sounds like a great less expensive way to insure gear for only like $250 a year! I have not found a local plan that seems better than NPPAs Hays and CO. But for any expats out there, how do you insure your gear. From the states or locally? I did find one plan through ePHOTOzine that seems like it is very affordable, but they don’t have an online form to get a real quote.


Any Ideas?

by Amy Ellis | 18 May 2005 11:05 | Acton, London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
look in to this: Go to PPA (professional photographers of America) you join them for about $200 a year and get all sorts of info about being a wedding photog and family portrait guy, blah blah blah, BUT, they then give you access to a company called Marsh, who has a great deal for replacement cost pro camera insurance. I have $12,000 worth of gear insured for about $270 a year with a $100 ductuctable, thats un-matched in my research. Add that to the PPA dues and it’s 4 or $500 bucks a year depending on how much gear you have. You are insured any where in the world for theft, accident etc, except for an “act of war” Meaning that that if you are in Iraq and a car-bomb blows up your gear, your screwed, but then you screwed anyways because you are dead. But if some kid steals your bag in Baghdad, you are covered. In my experience, theft is the big issue. I have not made a claim with them yet, but theyre customer service seems very good. Much cheaper than NPPA deductable of $1000.

by [former member] | 18 May 2005 12:05 | Oakland, United States | | Report spam→
I’m a bit late chiming into this post, but I insure all my gear through my homeowners insurance. It costs me $80 per year to insure $12,000 worth of gear. They are all “scheduled” items meaining if something happens I don’t even have to pay a deductable.
This all paid off last month when my D1H flew out of my bag and shattered in my driveway. No questions asked, I had a check for replacement value of the camera body plus repair cost for the lens in my hands 10 days later. When I traveled to Cambodia earlier in the year I checked and it was all fully covered any where I am. I highly recommend have your gear insured regardless of who you get it through.

by Mike Brown | 18 May 2005 16:05 | Memphis - USA, United States | | Report spam→
hey amy, welcome to the hood, I bet you love the weather already…

wiliamson carson 0208 650 9222
camerasure alliance 0870 411 5511

call these guys, compare what they quote you and take it from there.

by [former member] | 19 May 2005 02:05 | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
May not apply in this situation but others may want to check into a State Farm personal policy. I’ve had about $10K insured with them for about $200 a year. I had two claims in the last year one for the bulk of my equipment when it was stolen. Good news is, they had me a check within the week with no hassles. Bad news is they dropped me. So, I’m shopping for new insurance now as well.

by James J. Lee | 20 May 2005 10:05 | Washington, DC, United States | | Report spam→
State Farm refused to cover me when they found out I was a stringer. They said they would only cover full-time staff photographers. I guess they think freelancers are less concerned about their gear…I don’t know?
I’m not surprised they dropped you. If you’re a stringer be sure you confirm they will cover your gear so you don’t end up filing a claim that they refuse to pay.
My coverage is through Indiana Insurance. They were great with my claim and they didn’t drop me.

by Mike Brown | 20 May 2005 13:05 | Memphis - USA, United States | | Report spam→
Well, I take that back. I just got the letter today that they were dropping me. They said it was becuase I own 3 snakes, but that it crock if I ever heard one (and I owned them before they signed me up for the policy).

by Mike Brown | 21 May 2005 20:05 | Memphis - USA, United States | | Report spam→
like if they were to chew on your camera???

by [former member] | 22 May 2005 01:05 | New York City, United States | | Report spam→
I am also an American in London. I will be going back to school in the fall, and will therefore have renter’s insurance that will cover my laptop and camera. However, I will be going to Bosnia from June 27th until July 15th, and need these items (and myself) covered. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

by Geoffrey King | 21 Jun 2005 05:06 (ed. Jun 21 2005) | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
Amy and Geoff and you other americans…

Why dont you give Towergate Camerasure a call?.You can get pro or amateur insurance here in the UK and 45 days overseas (or however longer you may be out of the country).theyre good…


by [former member] | 03 Aug 2005 04:08 | UK, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
Revisiting this topic. I am having a hard time finding an insurer for my equipment. I am going to Africa (Kenya) with lend cameras and need insurance coverage.
Any advice?

by Patrick Firouzian | 14 Mar 2009 02:03 | shanghai, China | | Report spam→
hi leo,
I used Marsh,true PPA (professional photographers of America)as Eros was saying, again I did not have any claim with them, you can periodically upgrade your equipment list and there process is fast.
check it out

by Dominik | 14 Mar 2009 07:03 (ed. Mar 14 2009) | Goa, India | | Report spam→
Hey everyone,

Wanted to resurrect this topic to see if anyone has any updated info or quotes. The NPPA Hays deal is running about $300/yr or $350 without membership. Never made a claim with them yet but they seem helpful enough over the phone. Apparently they have a different offer separate from the NPPA deal altogether which they’re emailing me tomorrow. I’ll post the particulars here when they come in.

by Steve Bartel | 15 Jun 2010 20:06 | Manhattan, United States | | Report spam→
Hi all, this is an interesting thread… I’m from the UK but struggling to get insurance for my equipment as i’m now living in cambodia but also traveling a lot. (no fixed abode :-S )

by Dan Rivers | 20 Sep 2010 09:09 | Phnom Penh, Cambodia | | Report spam→
Those of you based in the UK, please give Photoshield (Winsover Howden) a ring, ask to speak to Steve Beveridge and please mention my name as recommending you – yes, it wins me brownie points!

Seriously, though, insurance is all very well but the proof of an insurance company is how they deal with any claim that you have to make. I am going to be writing about this in more detail on my blog in the next few weeks, but for the moment lets just say that I have been insured by various companies for over 15 years and never had to make a claim until last year, and it was a whopping claim approaching 6 figures.

Photoshield were brilliant, smooth, quick and professional, and they did not hit me with a punitive premium increase when renewal time came. I cannot rate them highly enough.

by Michael Cockerham | 21 Sep 2010 09:09 | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
Is NPPA still the way to go? Does it include laptops?

by Tamara Gentuso | 29 Jun 2011 21:06 | Nashville, Tennessee, United States | | Report spam→
look in the archives. there have been many threads relating to these topics previously discussed on LS.

by [former member] | 30 Jun 2011 00:06 | Los Angeles, United States | | Report spam→
Hah, this is the archives, Eros. Thread started in 05.

Hays (not technically NPPA) does cover computer/editing/backup equipment.

by [former member] | 30 Jun 2011 12:06 | Phnom Penh, Cambodia | | Report spam→
haha Thanks, Rick, you are right. So the laptop is going to be the issue…

by Tamara Gentuso | 30 Jun 2011 20:06 | Nashville, Tennessee, United States | | Report spam→
any suggestion for a war zone equipment insurance ?

by Pooyan Tabatabaei | 11 Jul 2011 09:07 | toronto, Canada | | Report spam→
I might be heading to Nepal for a 6 mth photo internship and I’m planning on acquiring a whole bunch of new Nikon equipment.

I’m a student, so while insurance is rather expensive, I’d rather have peace of mind with an insane premium rather than worry about recovering my losses should anything happen to some or all of my cameras.

Are there any companies that provide insurance overseas? I’m Singaporean BTW.

by Wallace Woon | 07 Oct 2011 19:10 | Singapore, Singapore | | Report spam→
Hays remains the dominant player in the business (note this thread began over five years ago). But you have to belong to NPPA to get it. NPPA is worth the $110 annual membership fee, not just for this benefit but also for discounts from other vendors such as the Apple store (and the other equipment suppliers).

by Neal Jackson | 08 Oct 2011 21:10 | Washington, DC, United States | | Report spam→
for german photographers i can recommend.


very good :)

by martinfoerster | 14 Dec 2012 22:12 | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
for german photographers i can recommend.


very good :)

by martinfoerster | 14 Dec 2012 22:12 | London, United Kingdom | | Report spam→
I have learned something VERY IMPORTANT about Hays since I wrote the post above.


Period. When Lynsey Addario was taken by the Libyan government forces last year, they took her equipment. The Hays insurance did not pay anything, even though she had been carrying it for years. I looked at the policy and sure enough it had a big exclusion for war coverage.

So don’t buy that insurance if you expect to do any work in a war zone.

by Neal Jackson | 17 Dec 2012 15:12 (ed. Dec 17 2012) | Washington, DC, United States | | Report spam→
Hi all. Very new here, but I think you are giving some bad information. I had a personal protection policy with everything scheduled, and when all my gear was stolen 4 years ago, after a simple google search I was denied my claim. The reason? I’m a professional, not an amateur. They said that since i earned more than $100 from my work that I had the wrong policy. Funny, when they took my money them never mentioned that. I now have one through Philadelphia insurance for $650/yr that covers $25k of equipment and 15k of rental, and world wide coverage. I was in a hurry though and needed it fast. If PPA covers replacement cost, not depreciated value, that is a great deal!

by Daniel Speicher | 06 Jan 2013 05:01 | Pittsburgh, Pa, United States | | Report spam→
OK, I’ll keep this thread going. My suggestion for insurance is Hill and Usher (www.hillusher.com). I switched to them after several years with TCP (Tom Pickard). Suggest you check them out if you need coverage.

by PJ Heller | 06 Jan 2013 11:01 | Christchurch, New Zealand | | Report spam→
Hi all. I have a question about insurance if you plan to be living overseas. I don’t plan to be working in a combat zone, but I will probably be spending most of my time in Jordan, with visits to Turkey and Lebanon. When I lived in Jordan before, I was a student, and my student insurance covered my photo gear. My main concern would be in the event of theft, since insurance companies usually want you to submit proof that you filed a police report (and to me, that sounds like it could be a big mess). Does anyone have recommendations for worldwide coverage? Thank you!

by Lindsey Leger | 14 Apr 2014 16:04 | Istanbul, Turkey | | Report spam→

Get notified when someone replies to this thread:
Feed-icon-10x10 via RSS
Icon_email via email
You can unsubscribe later.

More about sponsorship→


Nayan Sthankiya, Visual Journalist Nayan Sthankiya
Visual Journalist
Saskatoon , Canada
John Cullen, Photographer John Cullen
Toronto , Canada
Keith Bedford, Photojournalist Keith Bedford
Copenhagen , Denmark
Jethro Soudant, Photographer Jethro Soudant
Buffalo, Ny , United States
Amy Ellis, Freelance Photojournalist Amy Ellis
Freelance Photojournalist
San Francisco , United States
Mike Brown, Photographer Mike Brown
Memphis , United States
James J. Lee, Photojournalist James J. Lee
Myrtle Beach , United States
Geoffrey King, 1st Amend. lawyer, photog Geoffrey King
1st Amend. lawyer, photog
San Francisco , United States
Patrick Firouzian, Research Patrick Firouzian
(Practice judgement)
Shanghai , China ( PVG )
Dominik, Photographer-Fotografo Dominik
San Diego , United States
Steve Bartel, Photojournalist Steve Bartel
Manhattan , United States
Dan Rivers, Photographer Dan Rivers
Phnom Penh , Cambodia
Michael Cockerham, Documentalistic Bystander Michael Cockerham
Documentalistic Bystander
(Image Matters)
Cologne , Germany
Tamara Gentuso, freelance photojournalist Tamara Gentuso
freelance photojournalist
Nashville, Tennessee , United States ( BNA )
Pooyan Tabatabaei, Photojournalist Pooyan Tabatabaei
Toronto , Canada
Wallace Woon, Wallace Woon
Singapore , Singapore
Neal Jackson, Neal Jackson
(Flaneur, Savant and Scapegrace)
Washington, Dc , United States ( IAD )
martinfoerster, martinfoerster
(photojournalist. traveller. )
Aleppo , Syria
Daniel Speicher, Daniel Speicher
[location unknown]
PJ Heller, Freelance Photojournalist PJ Heller
Freelance Photojournalist
(Freelance Photojournalist)
Christchurch , New Zealand
Lindsey Leger, Photographer & Writer Lindsey Leger
Photographer & Writer
Istanbul , Turkey


Top↑ | RSS/XML | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | support@lightstalkers.org / ©2004-2015 November Eleven